Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Detecting hosts in large subnets

From: Hillel <hillel.t () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 13:34:12 +0200

On 12/26/05, Andreas Ericsson <ae () op5 se> wrote:

Hillel wrote:
nmap -sP -n --max_rtt_timeout 50 --max_scan_delay 0 --min_parallelism
100
<subnet>
The command takes 87 seconds to a mostly empty class B subnet.

I have a number questions:
2. Are there any other suggestions to improve performance?

-T Insane

According to this article:
http://www.networkuptime.com/nmap/page09-09.shtml-T insane is actually
slower then the defaults I selected, and trying to use
it instead of them slows me down a lot. If I just add it to the command line
before the rest of the args, the time doesn't change as my values override
it's defaults.

4. Are there any licensing issues when including nmap and libpcap (it's a
windows app) in a commercial release?

You have to provide the sourcecode through the same medium the binary
was made available through. It has to be available on the CD if you ship
your app on CD. If you make it available for download you have to
provide that version's sourcecode on your site.

Thanks for the info.