Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Detecting hosts in large subnets

From: Martin Mačok <martin.macok () underground cz>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 16:31:23 +0100

On Mon, Dec 26, 2005 at 10:46:15PM -0800, doug () hcsw org wrote:

1. From the sniffer output I see that nmap sends a second arp for every host
that does not respond. Is there a way to cancel this behavior?

Interesting you mention this right now. The next version of Nmap (due out soon)
should include a new command line option: --max_retries

As it says, this is an adaptation of Martin's patch which you can find here:

http://Xtrmntr.org/ORBman/tmp/nmap/nmap-3.78-option-max_retransmissions.patch

if you're desperate for the functionality.

My patch only affects retransmissions during scan phase and *not* ping
phase, anyway... I have not seen Fyodor's adaptation yet...

Martin Mačok
ICT Security Consultant