Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Detecting hosts in large subnets

From: 4N9e Gutek <4n9e () futurezone biz>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 20:39:45 +0100

As I understand it there is no way to
use parsed nmap output in a commercial app without either
releasing the
app as GPL, or buying a commercial nmap license.

-in fact, parsing Nmap's resutls the way you suggest falls
under the term of license "Executes Nmap and parses the
results (as opposed to typical shell or execution-menu
apps, which simply display raw Nmap output and so are not
derivative works.)"
This leads to a "derived work" as stated in the Legal
Notice. It suggests that you sould ask for a special
license for such purpose:
"If you wish to embed Nmap technology into proprietary
software, we may be willing to sell alternative licenses
(contact <sales () insecure com>)"

Redistributing under a GPL license only deals with modifed
versions of Nmap.
But for commercials issues, I strongly suggest you to deal
with <sales () insecure com>, who surrely will give you the
right advise ;)

--
4N9e, Moderateur Securité informatique sur FutureZone.