Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [RFC] Zenmap search interface overhaul

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 13:30:34 -0600

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 09:15:22PM +0200, Vladimir Mitrovic wrote:
The same thing could work for before: and after:, except they would only
subtract and add days, respectively. I think I would almost always use
the ~ option.

I didn't understand this. Does "after:~2008-01-10" mean:

"all scans after 00:00 on January 12"

or

"all scans after 00:00 on January 10, up until 00:00 on January 12"?

Neither. It means "all scans after 00:00 on January 9." Fuzziness should
only increase, never decrease, the range of dates searched.

Similarly before:~date would push the date forward in time a day. Again
we have to make a decision. Does before:2008-01-10 mean, "before 00:00
on January 10" or "before 00:00 on January 11"? In other words, does
"before" really mean "on or before"? My inclination is to choose the
more expansize option, "on or before", just like "after" is "on or
after". So for this example "before:~2008-01-10" means "all scans before
00:00 on January 12."

Why have the fuzziness, when it's just a shorthand for operations with
precise semantics? The answer is that I don't want to have to remember
precise semantics when I'm searching. Like I said, I hate being off by
one day. I want a search that will give me the results I want when I'm
within a day.

David