Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [rainmap] RFC on UI mockups

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 17:59:57 -0700

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 01:35:26AM -0700, alexandru wrote:

As for Luis' question re: disabling sign-ups, that will be an
option, as will be review-before-activate (similar to what the folks
at http://devio.us do)

Yes, I think review-before-activate is a key feature.

As for the name, would it perhaps be less annoying to ask users to
update their profile *after* they activate the account, instead of
requiring more info on sign-up? I think there's less friction that
way.

My thought was that it might be nice to welcome people with their name
rather than email address, including in the sign-up confirmation email
and the activation screen.  But maybe it isn't so important.  Showing
the email address instead at least reminds people exactly what they
need to use to login.  Looking at other login forms, I notice that
Google's generic sign-in form doesn't ask for a name:

https://www.google.com/accounts/NewAccount?continue=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&hl=en

But their Gmail signup form does:

https://www.google.com/accounts/NewAccount?service=mail

So I suppose we may not need to ask for the name up front after all.

Yes, and I made that more evident in the "new scan" view. I figure
users will have an easier time remembering a scan by an identifier
they can choose, and it's also better than showing hostnames or IPs
as in my initial design.

Makes sense.

Now included at the bottom of the scan is the full nmap command. The
user will be allowed to click it and then copy it from a pop-up
dialog. Since scans have names and the full command is readily
visible, I've opted on removing the host/IP column.

Looks good (http://rainmap.labs.hackd.net/).

We should probably capitalize the labels on the left-sidebar buttons

For the one we host, we'll probably want a way to embed it in the
normal Insecure.Org chrome (like you see around the content of
nmap.org, insecure.org, sectools.org, seclists.org, etc.)

It should only be a matter of slapping on the appropriate CSS to
turn the left-side navigation into links as on nmap.org etc. Or am I
misunderstanding the kind of embedding you have in mind?

Well, what I mean is that I'd like the option to surround it with the
exact chrome as seen on nmap.org, insecure.org, seclists.org,
sectools.org, etc.  I can show you more about how we do that next time
we chat. The application menus and the like would be inside the main
content area of the chrome.  It is possible that we'd want the site to
go chromeless, but I'd like to at least have the option to preserve
the same look and feel and navigation menus as the other sites.

Cheers,
Fyodor