Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [rainmap] RFC on UI mockups

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 17:49:03 -0600

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 11:40:19PM -0700, alexandru wrote:
Out of curiosity, beyond having to also modify
zenmapGUI/OptionBuilder.py when a new entry is added to the XML, what
other issues did you find with the profile_editor.xml approach? I ask
because having a helper file to store the various help descriptions
and option values is something that crossed my mind. I've skimmed the
code, so I may have skipped over something obvious — apologies if
that's the case.

There's no problem having a file containing a list of options with their
descriptions. I just wouldn't use it to automatically generate your
interface. You'll notice in the Zenmap profile editor how every option
takes up one full line in the dialog, and there are only a few choices
for GUI widgets (checkbox, text box, spinbutton, combo box). I think the
options could be physically arranged more intuitively. I would also like
it to do things like disable (gray out) all the ping options if you've
checked -Pn. That kind of thing is hard to express in the XML database.

David Fifield