Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] isakmp aggressive mode and version detection

From: Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 19:40:34 -0800

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 5:38 AM, Jesper Kückelhahn <dev.kyckel () gmail com>wrote:

I'm currently working on a NSE script that extracts information from
isakmp services. I'm planning on creating two scripts; one for aggressive
mode detection, and one for version detection. For the latter I'd like to
use the vendor ID's included in 'ike-scan'[1]. However, I'm a little
worried about the licensing and copy right aspect, and I'm hoping that
someone could help me determine if inclusion of this file in nmap is
possible. In order to extract version information, some modifications to
this file might be necessary, and also addition fingerprints will properly
be added. The following is a snippet of text from the header of the file
including license information:

Hi Jesper.  The new scripts sound awesome, but you're right to be cautious
about copyrights when taking code/date from other tools.  Unfortunately, we
can't use code under ike-scan's default license.  Whether a list of vendor
IDs is copyrightable is questionable, but we should err on the safe and
polite side and note include it without permission.  Fortunately, there are
several options:

Perhaps the best option is to mail the ike-scan guys (there are two email
addresses in the header of ike-vendor-ids) and ask permission to use the
data in Nmap under a BSD license.  Be sure to let them know that they'll be
credited in the file, and that we will keep it under a BSD license so that
they can then use any new IDs discovered by Nmap Project contributors.

If they say yes, then put a comment near the top of the data file that you
use for the vendor IDs noting that it can be used under the "Simplified
(2-clause) BSD license--See http://nmap.org/svn/docs/licenses/BSD-simplified";.
 Or if the data is in the script directly, you can put the script under
that license by using that text in the license field.

If they don't respond or if they say no, then I guess the only alternative
is to try and independently recreate the data or find it from some other
source.

Cheers,
Fyodor