PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Unattended linux updates

From: NSweaney at tulsacash.com (Nathan Sweaney)
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 19:56:02 -0500

Dan McGinn-Combs said "I used to have a Gentoo server auto-update
itself. What a pain in the pah-tooey. I recently tried it with an ARCH
linux box. No go. For some reason the PERL update wouldn't download and
it kept bombing out."

I've had similar experiences in the past as well.  That's why I was
wondering if anyone had actual experience with it working successfully
in any particular distro.

d4ncingd4n at gmail.com said "Not to be a stick in the mud but, you
shouldn't allow any mission-critical servers to auto-update. Updates
should be tested prior to deployment. Otherwise all hell breaks loose
the instant you patch the last box. It's a cruel law of nature."

Agreed, but these aren't mission-critical, just a pain when they go
down.  And when I made your point to the customer, they asked why a box
that "might" go down would be worse than boxes that "do" go down.

Several people mentioned that croning the updates should work, and I'm
working on a few testbeds, but I've still yet to find anyone that
actually does it (and is happy) with distro X.

- Nathan