Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] examining exchange mail

From: Robert van der Meulen <rvdm () CISTRON NL>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 19:06:50 +0100

Hi,

Quoting Andrew Thomas (blink () EYE2EYE NET):
I have domain admin on a network, and I want to know how I would go about
viewing mail *stored* on the Exchange Server, if this is possible.

What little research I have done, has not turned up much, so if anyone could
help, it would be much appreciated.
AFAIK it shouldn't be so hard to either move the mail to a new account, or
write some win32 program that uses the NT api's to open the mailbox
files/databases. Altering the rights of the target user should be possible
too, i guess. I'm a non-m$, unix-person only, so my experience with Exchange
is limited. I did work with M$ api's for some time, and found them quite
complete.

What this has to do with pen-testing, i don't get ;) Also keep in mind that
reading any users' email (unless it's your own) can offer a nice legal
problem, even in a pen-test scope (not mentioning ethics).

Greets,
        Robert

--
|      rvdm () cistron nl - Cistron Internet Services - www.cistron.nl        |
|          php3/c/perl/html/c++/sed/awk/linux/sql/cgi/security             |