Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] examining exchange mail

From: Francois Pepin <fpepin () PO-BOX MCGILL CA>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 17:15:57 -0500

I think that the question is about something else here. Is it possible when
you have access to the Exchange server to read the mail of an individual
user.

In Unix the answer is simple, root is root is God as far as the computer is
concerned. In Exchange, it's not that simple.

I've only played with with Exchange 2000, but I've never found a way to
access it like that. The administrator does not have the right to view the
messages in someone else's mailbox. You cannot change the permissions
directly on those folders (on the M: drive). I tried to do that out of
curiosity only and didn't go all that far in trying to do it. I don't
remember if the "run as" needs the user'S password or not when you're admin
(I think it does). And the M: is only a mirror of the real data, that is
stored elsewhere which might be more vulnerable permission-wise if you know
how to extract it. So it's trivial, but I don't know if it can be done or
not. Of course, I never tried Exchange 5.5.

Is this what the question is about?

Francois