Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] examining exchange mail

From: Mark Armitage <mark.armitage () SAVERNAKE COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 21:07:10 -0000

Andrew,

The easiest way to do this is to log in as admin, give yourself privs to
their mailbox ( in exchange admin) , and then use outlook (file open special
folder) to open their mail,

if you dont want to do this there are several other options but they get
very complex, either way you need the privs to get to the mail.

For diagnostic purposes only :
There is a program called "mbd view" on the exchange CD (not installed by
default) you can use it to examine all the data and strctures in the mdb,
use it wisely, or you will break it.
There is even a way of creating spy profiles to use mdbview on 'stuck
emails' in MTA queues, or deleting emails that crash the internet mail
connector (yes this does happen). (page 609 exchange server training book.
isbn 1-572310709-4)

Hope this is usefull

Mark.