Snort mailing list archives

RE: External snort monitoring

From: Steve Halligan <agent33 () geeksquad com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 12:33:15 -0500

I called
Linksys to verify that this is a hub and not a switch. and i
do not need to
set an IP for the sensor correct?

I have my cable modem hooked into a Linksys 5 port hub and
I also have
a snort sensor configured on the hub to catch all traffic
coming to my
network. from the 5 port hub it connects into a Linksys
router which is
where my server is located. my question is why can i catch
traffic on
my internal snort sensor connected to the Linksys router,
but all I can
see are ARP requests on the external snort sensor which is
connected to
the hub? anyone have any ideas?

This Linksys Cable "router" has a 4 or 5 port "hub" built into it, right?
Is that hub, or your linksys hub 10/100?  Or are they both strictly 10?  My
guess is that the NIC in the snort box is a 10, the one in the server is a
100, the eth interface on the cable modem is a 100.  A 10/100 hub is in most
cases actually like a 10 hub and a 100 hub hooked up with a 2 port switch.
The 10 side will never see traffic that starts and ends on the 100 side.

-Steve