Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort, MySql, Apache, & PHP Problem - Checked by Vexira -

From: Jim Hendrick <jrhendri () maine rr com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:02:28 -0500

Hi Scott,

Couple of thoughts:

First, you should give relevant versions of all components when posting
a problem (OS, snort/mysql/acid, etc. etc.)

Second (well, kind of first also :-) you probably ought not be
installing an IDS on the production server. (especially until you have
done it on another system and understand the risks. Running
snort/mysql/acid is great, but also opens up a web service and a
database service on a critical machine. The less a server runs, the more
secure it is.

Third, (well, kind of First or Second and a half...)
You could easily set something up on an older box and then have *it*
monitor the mail server. Even an old 500Mhz 256MB desktop running Linux
would work well. You could then have the switch do "port mirroring" of
the mail server to the IDS port (or even splice in a cheap hub to watch
the traffic)

And finally, if you have been hacked already, make sure the mail server
is really clean (nuke and re-install is the best way) and then hardened
before it goes back into service.
You should probably look at running a host-based IDS on it like tripwire
or AIDE. Something that records the state of critical files (stored on
read-only media) is pretty useful and pretty simple.

Good luck,
Jim