Snort mailing list archives

Re: Sourcefire Tactics - New Licensing

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 13:55:33 -0500

Michael,

First off, Sourcefire won't be forking a codebase that it owns. We continue to support the community and devote resources to the project far beyond what any other commercial entity has done.

From Snort's beginnings in 1998 and then from when I founded Sourcefire in 2001 until the spring of 2002, I was the primary developer of Snort (at Sourcefire too). I wrote stream4, frag2, spo_unified, spp_telnet_negotiation, spp_http_decode, spp_minfrag and spp_bo. I also wrote the fast, full, syslog, null, and tcpdump output mechanisms. I also wrote the main decoders in Snort (ethernet, arp, vlan, ip, tcp, udp, icmp). I also wrote most of the detection plugins that form the rules language keywords in Snort originally (20 out of 29 of them in 2.3), although some of them have seen extensive work by Sourcefire. I wrote Snort's detection engine. I wrote the output interfaces. I wrote the parsing and config subsystem. More recently I have written frag3 as well as some other significant pieces of code that are in the pipeline right now.

I also spent night after night after night writing docs, fixing bugs, evaluating patches and answering email, on the order of 3000 emails from me in the archives if you'll take a look over the course of 1999-2002. I had no funding and pretty weak computers. I had a day job and I was spending all my free time working on it (just ask my wife). I find that I really resent your assertion that this project would have gone nowhere without a massive influx of code from outside contributers, I think I managed to do a lot of good work and that the code that's still in there today has stood the test of time. Fyodor Yarochkin was a big contributer in those days, if he's still around here maybe he could comment on my level of effort.

People at Sourcefire like Marc Norton, Dan Roelker, Steve Sturgis, Andy Mullican, Jeremy Hewlett, Andrew Baker, Chris Green and Brian Caswell (to mention a few) have done a tremendous amount of work and modified and improved a lot of this code as well as extended Snort so that we can do cool stuff like make it hit gigabit+ per second performance marks and have stateful rules.

Sourcefire isn't a nameless, faceless corporate entity that's out there working hard to screw people, Sourcefire is *my* company. Contrary to the beliefs of some, the investors don't run this place, guys like Wayne and I do. We made the decision to go down this route as a management team, I was fully on board with it and we spent a great deal of time figuring out a licensing scheme that was fair to us and the community as well as the commercial entities that were profiting from our R&D (like your company, for example).

Generating FUD about a licensing change for which you have very little information at this point isn't helping anyone. Corporate entities who want to profit from Sourcefire's research team should not be surprised when Sourcefire as a company decides that there should be some fairness in the relationship. The Snort.org VRT subscription dollars and money from commercial redistribution license will go back into the VRT so that we can improve the service, the more successful this program is the more everyone participating in it will gain from it.

Sourcefire isn't asking you to pay for code, it's not even asking you to pay for rules, what we're saying is that if you are a company that's profiting directly from the quality and timliness of the rules that are generated by the VRT that you contribute back to that from which you benefit. The rules that are under the GPL today will remain under the GPL, so you're not being constrained there. The community rules from the users will remain under the GPL or alternative licenses that the individual authors may propose. The rules that Sourcefire develops at a cost of millions of dollars per year will be available to end users *for free* if they so desire, but for corporations that are taking and giving nothing in return, we ask that they be willing to pay for ongoing access to Sourcefire's brains and resources.

     -Marty