Snort mailing list archives

Re: Reliability of signatures

From: Matthew Jonkman <jonkman () emergingthreatspro com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 12:12:58 -0500

BTW: The spec we used in sidreporter. Works well, simple, easy to generate:

http://doc.emergingthreats.net/bin/view/Main/SidReporter

Open for use in whatever project whoever sets up.

Matt

On Feb 4, 2011, at 12:06 PM, Matthew Jonkman wrote:

I agree on the vendor being the keeper of the data. And I'd volunteer ET for the task, but any resources we'd muster
would be off the proceeds of ET Pro sales, so we're in the same category really.

We started something like that a while ago in sidreporter, but didn't get it far off the ground unfortunately.

If we do this in another venue we also need to do something to correlate sids, because the ET Pro reports would be
for similar vulns or issues, but different sids. So we'd really need to either correlate (major PITA), or run side by
side separate databases.

Then there are the issues of not disclosing sensitive data in automated reporting. I think we've done a good job
there in sidreporter, but it's still a concern for most companies.

So a few thoughts:

A joint Sourcefire-ET Pro supported database run by community members?

OISF maybe take it in as a project and volunteers run it? (could secure gov't funding for something like that in the
long term if it were in a non-profit)

ET and SF both stand up their own? But maybe share a reporting mechanism?

I dunno. Lots of possibilities, and a lot of very good data we could generate in a mostly automated way for signature
confidence...

Thoughts?

Matt