tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: pcap file format documentation

From: "Don Morrison" <donmorrison () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 20:43:12 -0800

Hi Stephen,

Here's the problem.  I'm dealing with corrupted pcap files, where the
last packet was partially written, but it's not of interest and all I
want to do is truncate the last packet.  My assumption is that
libpcap's API will not allow me to deal with this since programs that
are dependent on it (tcpdump, ethereal) hang when attempting to open
any such file.  Is this assumption incorrect?

Thanks,
Don