tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: pcap file format documentation

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 14:57:04 -0800

On Mar 24, 2006, at 1:35 PM, Don Morrison wrote:

My apologies, what I said was incorrect.  Running the command does not
crash tcpdump, but the outputfile ("clean.pcap") will crash Ethereal,
so while both files are clean enough for tcpdump to display and not
crash, not so for Ethereal.

That doesn't mean that the problem is a result of an incomplete record at the end of the file; tcpdump and Ethereal can handle those OK.

The problem is probably a crash in some dissector, due to a bug in the dissector. You should submit that to the Ethereal bugzilla at bugs.ethereal.com - preferably with a stack trace. Note that without a stack trace or a capture, it's unlikely that anybody will be able to do anything about it - there are 997,557 lines in all the ".c" and ".h" files in the directory containing Ethereal dissectors (stated as such because that counts comments, blank lines, etc.).

If broken.pcap caused a crash or hang in tcpdump (when printing its output, not when writing it to a file with "-w"), there might be a bug in a tcpdump dissector as well.

Note that the crash might be due to a *non*-truncated packet.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.