tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: how many stable branches to have

From: Francois-Xavier Le Bail <devel.fx.lebail () orange fr>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 11:46:37 +0200

> From: Michal Sekletar <msekleta () redhat com>

> Instead I propose we should consider scheme used by Linux kernel, i.e.
> having {tcpdump,libpcap}-$version-stable and
> {tcpdump,libpcap}-$version-longterm branches.

AFAIK, This is not the scheme used by the linux kernel.
they don't have '-stable' or '-longterm' in their names as these are moving 'attributes' given on the main page of kernel.org.

I propose this:
We could give an "End of Life" date for each release branches.
This mean that after this date, the tcpdump group would not update any more the branch.

After this date, if needed, it would be the responsibility of the distro maintainers to put patches in their distro repositories.

Example, for tcdpdump:
<= 4.2: EoL = exceeded
4.3-4.5: EoL = 31/12/2015
4.6: EoL = 30/06/2016
4.7: EoL = 31/12/2016 (4.8+ must be publish before ...)

Francois-Xavier