tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: how many stable branches to have

From: Michal Sekletar <msekleta () redhat com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 15:33:10 +0200

On 05/26/2015 11:46 AM, Francois-Xavier Le Bail wrote:

AFAIK, This is not the scheme used by the linux kernel.
they don't have '-stable' or '-longterm' in their names as these are
moving 'attributes' given on the main page of kernel.org.

You are right, those really are attributes.

I propose this:
We could give an "End of Life" date for each release branches.
This mean that after this date, the tcpdump group would not update any
more the branch.

Having clearly defined EoL is a good idea. However I think that some releases should be picked and supported for longer periods of time. For example on kernel.org there is still long-term branch for 2.6.32 kernel.

Michal