tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Speed specific Link-Layer Header Types for USB 2.0

From: Guy Harris via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 11:53:52 -0700

--- Begin Message --- From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 11:53:52 -0700
On May 8, 2022, at 4:48 AM, Tomasz Moń via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org> wrote:

I would like to remedy the situation by requesting additional speed
specific link layer header types, for example:
 * LINKTYPE_USB_2_0_LOW_SPEED
 * LINKTYPE_USB_2_0_FULL_SPEED
 * LINKTYPE_USB_2_0_HIGH_SPEED

The description for existing LINKTYPE_USB_2_0 could be updated to
mention that for new captures, the speed specific link layer header
types should be used to enable better dissection.

To quote a comment of yours in the Wireshark issue:

I should have gone for three separate link-layer header types for "USB 1.0/1.1/2.0 packets" each at different capture
speed (low/full/high). I think technically we can still add these alongside the current "unknown speed" one. The
reason behind having separate link-layer header types is that the capture tool must know the capture link speed
(agreed speed does not change during the transmission, and the handshaking is not on packet level) and the capture
link speed is useful when analyzing packets.

At least from a quick look at section 5.2.3 "Physical Bus Topology" of the USB 2.0 spec, a given bus can either be a
high-speed bus or a full/low-speed bus.

The idea, then, is presumably that a capture tool is capturing on a single bus (single wire), so it's either capturing
on a high-speed bus or a full/low-speed bus.

It looks as if a high-speed bus will always run at 480 Mb/s, so that capture would be a LINKTYPE_USB_2_0_HIGH_SPEED
capture.  Is that correct?

For full/low-speed buses, will those also always run at full peed or low speed, so that there would never be a mixture
of full-speed and low-speed transactions?

--- End Message ---