tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Speed specific Link-Layer Header Types for USB 2.0

From: Tomasz Moń via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 21:40:47 +0200

--- Begin Message --- From: Tomasz Moń <desowin () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 21:40:47 +0200
On Mon, 2022-05-09 at 12:02 -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
On May 9, 2022, at 7:41 AM, Tomasz Moń <desowin () gmail com> wrote:

That would require defining pseudoheader that would have to be
included in every packet.

Is that really a great burden?

I think it would make it harder to understand the protocol for
newcomers that use tools like Wireshark to try to make sense of USB.

And it would only solve the corner case that the
currently available open-source friendly sniffers do not presently
handle.

The point isn't to just handle what currently available open-source
friendly sniffers handle.  I'd prefer to leave room for future
sniffers that *do* handle it.

I think it is fine to assume that any tool that would create full-
speed
captures that contain both full-speed and low-speed data should be
able
to write pcapng file (or simply create two separate pcap files).

I think that, if you're capturing on a link between a full/low-speed
host and a full/low-speed hub, with low-speed devices plugged into
that hub, it would not make sense to treat that link as two
interfaces, with one interface handling full-speed packets and one
interface handling low-speed packets; I see that as an ugly
workaround.

So I see either

        1) a link-layer type for full/low-speed traffic, with a per-
packet pseudo-header

or

        2) don't support full/low-speed traffic capture, just support
full-speed-only and low-speed-only traffic capture

as the reasonable choices.

The choice number 2 is essentially what the OpenVizsla does.

--- End Message ---