Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: things to break..

From: sebastion () IRELANDMAIL COM (Jeff Bachtel)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 00:22:24 -0600

Napster has a "feature" where it will decide the proper port on which
to operate, especially if you are behind a firewall.

Therefore, their server scans you, and ports that you are reachable on
(but which are not actually running a service on your machine) are
pegged as useable by napster for serving mp3's.

This is obviously a problem, Napster found out that my NT workstation
could be reached on port 80 through a campus firewall, and proceeded
to set itself up in that configuration, however that is definately
against our firewall policy (no, I don't expect napster to read minds,
just to be more explicit about what its doing and why).

I haven't looked at the code for the linux napster client yet (is it
even freely available?), but if they don't submit their code and
protocol for peer review, I at least won't be using their product
(being more than aware what has happened due to Mirabilis' approach to
security through obscurity)

jeff