Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: things to break..

From: jpr5 () BOS BINDVIEW COM (Jordan Ritter)
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 11:39:16 -0500

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Matt Conover wrote:

# The idea was to allow people to use napster behind a firewall.  This
# isn't really an issue; the RealPlayer (RealAudio from RealNetworks)
# does the same thing.

Exactly.

# The source wasn't available because they were worried about
# competition.  I disagreed with this and I told him they should relesae
# it.  Nevertheless, a free client for Linux is available
# (gnome-napster) which includes source.  There are also mailing lists
# that are working on developing a free napster server (independent of
# Napster Inc.).

Here are some urls for folks that are interested:

Linux:
gnapster - http://www.gotlinux.org/~jasta/programs.html
gnome-napster - http://students.washington.edu/eeyem/software.shtml
gnap - http://gnap.sourceforge.net/
knapster - http://knapster.netpedia.net/
gtk-napster - http://www.geocities.com/xilliator/
java-napster - http://www.tux.org/~daneel/
jnap - http://www.perham.net/mike/jnap/
jnapster (napster library) - http://members.xoom.com/harikris_v/

opennap server - http://opennap.sourceforge.net/

Mac:
macster - http://www.macster.com/ (now owned by Napster, Inc.)

There should plenty enough source there for folks to source code review..
:-)  Have fun!

--jordan