Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Local DoS : RedHat 6.0

Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 16:30:56 -0700

While killing yet another zombie Netscape process, I made the mistake of
typing "kill -9 -1 <pid>" as opposed to the normal "kill -9 <pid>."  For
obvious reasons, this attempted to kill every process owned by my user
and hung the entire system in the process.  (aka. I couldn't even switch
to another console to attempt recovery.)  Unfortunately the only way to
recover was to "hard boot" the system

Actually the network connection (if one has one) still works. I tried out
the above and I faced the same situations as you did for rh 6.0 afterstep
and slack 4.0 with window maker. We had to ssh in and do a /sbin/reboot...
it's not a solution, but better then maybe corrupting one's partitions.

I actually noticed this "bug" about a year ago, but since forgot about
it.  From what I've experienced, it definitely happens when a user types
"kill -9 -1" while in RedHat 6.0's Gnome/Enlightenment or Afterstep,
however I haven't tested any other window managers or versions of Linux.

K.J.