Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Local DoS : RedHat 6.0

From: tymm () COE MISSOURI EDU (Tymm Twillman)
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 12:01:28 -0500

-1 as a process ID argument to kill is handled by SVR4 and 4.3+BSD by
sending the signal to all processes whose real UID or saved UID is the
real or effective UID of the process sending the signal (except the signal
sender if under 4.3+BSD). So what you're actually doing is just killing
all of your processes.  You could just as well whack them all by hand.  If
you're root it'll hit about everything on the system.  (see W. Richard
Stevens "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment" under "kill and
raise functions", p. 283-4 for more info on this).  It is standard
behavior, and not a bug.  You still can't kill others' processes.

-Tymm