WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Hijacking URL Encoded Session IDs using Referer Logs

From: zeno <bugtraq () cgisecurity net>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 08:48:57 -0500 (EST)

Not to my knowledge. I guess the question would be why would you store the session id in a users url? I suppose
people who are to lazy to learn about cookies and don't mind having the ID logged on the server side.

Not to mention its *possible* that this id can be saved by a webspider and archived. If using cookies to store
these id's you won't have to worry about this problem. (unless there is a new super spider which logs cookies
that I am unaware of in production use?)

- zeno

Is there anything on CERT about the fact that URL encoded session IDs
get passed to referenced sites in the HTTP referer header?

Thanks,
Bob