WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Hijacking URL Encoded Session IDs using Referer Logs

From: Bob Lee <crazybob () crazybob org>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 09:40:57 -0600

One, I could have missed it, but I don't see anything in the owasp security guide advising application developers to disable URL encoded session IDs.

Two, you can't tie the origin of the the request (the IP address) to the session for reasons that have been discussed here time and time again.

Three, expiring sessions in a "timely" manner accomplishes nothing. 0 seconds is the only safe timeout. A cracker could write a program that monitors the HTTP referrer headers and e-mails her (hell, pages her) as soon as it sees something that looks like a session ID.

Four, most people worry about XSS attacks. Many sites (and web mail clients) allow links, and they also support URL-based session IDs. The *only* reason I bring this up is that I've seen examples of issue in my referer logs.

Bob

Jeff Dafoe wrote:
Many (most?) application servers use URL encoded session IDs when the
user has disabled cookies. Many users disable cookies as a security
precaution. There should be an advisory on this so that application
server vendors stop allowing URL encoded session IDs by default.

    If the sessions in a particular app are that easy to hijack then the
security issue is with that and not necessarily with the method used to
transmit the session id.  That is why the origin of a request must be
validated when a request is issued against a particular session and it is
also why sessions must be expired in a timely fashion.  I think we are
treading old territory here, stuff that was previously covered in past "poor
session handling" advisories and such.

Jeff