WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Hijacking URL Encoded Session IDs using Referer Logs

From: Bob Lee <crazybob () crazybob org>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 16:46:31 -0600

Or..... rather than linking directly to another site, allowing the browser to pass the user's session ID in the referer header, you could use an intermediate redirector for which a session ID is not needed.

Bob

Jeff Dafoe wrote:
One, I could have missed it, but I don't see anything in the owasp
security guide advising application developers to disable URL encoded
session IDs.

    If you are seeing session IDs in your referer logs then presumably the
users who established those sessions did not get a cookie-based session for
some reason.  How will those users be serviced if the "fallback" method by
which their session was maintained is disabled?

Two, you can't tie the origin of the the request (the IP address) to the
session for reasons that have been discussed here time and time again.

    You can make a best-effort attempt based on reverse resolution and
originating domain.  Feeble, agreed.

Three, expiring sessions in a "timely" manner accomplishes nothing. 0
seconds is the only safe timeout. A cracker could write a program that
monitors the HTTP referrer headers and e-mails her (hell, pages her) as
soon as it sees something that looks like a session ID.

    The "safe" timeout value, like the previous item, really depends on the
type of application you are refering to and the level of security required
by that application.  You really cannot say that generically, session IDs
present in the URL represent a security problem, because this assumes that a
system using session IDs in the URL to maintain state has any information
worth securing.  I would hate to see web app frameworks suddenly,
uncategorically, remove support for url-based sessions, particularly when
the removal of such will clearly affect the ability of some users to access
web applications utilizing those frameworks.

Jeff