WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Web Application Source Vulnerability Scanners

From: Ory Segal <ory.segal () sanctuminc com>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 17:25:02 +0200

Hi,

The problem with most open source tools is that they are very strong in CGI Scanning, but when it comes to mutating real HTTP requests, and testing the web application layer, they lack good engine features. They do not have features such as: 1) Application level tests such as manipulation of : HTML form parameters (SQL Inj., Buffer Overflows, Poison null byte, Format strings bugs, Cookies, HTTP Headers etc...)
2) Automatic testing validation.
3) Good reporting abilities
4) Session management/Transient management - Keeping the scanner 'in session'. This gives you the ability to scan web applications that force you to login, and may kick you out of session, if you caused some error - I believe that most large web apps have this. I believe that AppScan is the only scanner to perform this action.
5) Good performance
6) Contstant updates.
7) Logging of raw HTTP traffic
8) The ability to easily implement new tests.

-Ory Segal.