WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Web Application Source Vulnerability Scanners

From: Javier Fernandez-Sanguino <jfernandez () germinus com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 13:53:33 +0100

Ory Segal wrote:
Hi,

The problem with most open source tools is that they are very strong in CGI Scanning, but when it comes to mutating real HTTP requests, and testing the web application layer, they lack good engine features. They do not have features such as:

Ok. Not completely true. Let's take a look at httpush:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/httpush
(the answers would be similar if you took Spike proxy or other inline proxies)

1) Application level tests such as manipulation of : HTML form parameters (SQL Inj., Buffer Overflows, Poison null byte, Format strings bugs, Cookies, HTTP Headers etc...)

It has a Plugin API in which you can code this tests. Some are already available.

2) Automatic testing validation.

It does not have those. But I don't understand the point of doing it either.

3) Good reporting abilities

Good ol' text files.

4) Session management/Transient management - Keeping the scanner 'in session'. This gives you the ability to scan web applications that force you to login, and may kick you out of session, if you caused some error - I believe that most large web apps have this. I believe that AppScan is the only scanner to perform this action.

It does this fairly well since it's managed by the browser, httpush is a semi-transparent proxy.

5) Good performance

Fairly good performance as a proxy.

6) Contstant updates.

Not in httpush case but not really necessary.

7) Logging of raw HTTP traffic

Httpush can do that.

8) The ability to easily implement new tests.

Same here.

Now, I don't develop httpush myself. But I find it a _very_ useful web application scanner. I think the same of Spike proxy and RFP Procy BTW. However, it's not a "web application _Source_ vulnerability scanner". But, then again, your answer does not answer the original post either (since you are not talking of _source_ scanners either)

Regards

Javi