WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Web Application Source Vulnerability Scanners

From: "Jeff Williams @ Aspect" <jeff.williams () aspectsecurity com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 22:22:38 -0500

I think all the tools mentioned in this thread are pretty good at what
they do, and getting better all the time.  I think they can automate a
small part of the problem very nicely.

In my experience, most of the big problems in web applications are logic
errors -- frequently flaws that result from poorly designed or
completely missing security mechanisms. These flaws are difficult to
scan for because every web application has different mistakes.  It is
not like scanning for vulnerabilities at the network layer where
everyone is running one of a handful of operating systems.

A perfect scanning tool would be able to find ALL possible variants of
the OWASP top ten web application vulnerabilities. I'd be willing to bet
that none of the existing tools can find all possible variants of ANY of
the top ten.  Again, no disrespect to the folks who have built these
tools.  The problem of finding security vulnerabilities in arbitrary
custom code is extremely difficult, especially from an external
perspective.

In my opinion, if you want to find flaws in custom web applications,
look at the code.  All the flaws are there in black and white.  If you
can't read the code, find someone who can.  A security code review is
the fastest way to find the most serious holes in your web application.

--Jeff

Jeff Williams
Aspect Security, Inc.
http://www.aspectsecurity.com