WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Problems with most web app auth schemes

From: Brant Langer Gurganus <brantgurganus2001 () cherokeescouting org>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 11:51:41 -0500

Kevin Spett wrote:

Public key cryptography has been around for a long time now.  There's not a
good excuse for the continued use of the session id system when what web
applications really should be using is digital signatures.  When the client
requests that the server perform an action that requires authentication, it
should include a signature: a hash of the request that has been encrypted
with a private key.  The server should decrypt the hash using the client's
public key and then see if the hash is correct.  This way, the secret (the
private key) says on the client.  The server does not need to know it.  Even
if the transmission is intercepted, the interloper will not be able to
generate arbitrary requests that the destination server would recognize as
legitimate.  SessionIDs do not work this way.
The problem with the public key cryptography system is that it is commercial. That is, I have to pay money for a personal key. If personal keys came with a computer system, then I believe it would catch on for the client side of things. Until that happens, forcing a compuer to not only get a personal key, but also pay for it, will not work. If things work without paying the money, why should the client pay the money. It is truly ironic that people care about privacy to force sites to have privacy policies and such, yet I have not met any "average joe" who reads them.

--
Brant Langer Gurganus
Write me a message if you're happy.