WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Open Source Certificate authority

From: "Dave Ockwell-Jenner" <doj () solar-nexus com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:58:58 -0400

The reason that you don't get a warning when you use the VeriSign
certificates is that most browsers have a list of preset certificate
authorities (CAs).  When the SSL transaction is being negotiated, the
browser will validate the server certificate it receives.  If the
certificate was issued by one of the browser's known CAs then the
connection is made.  If the CA is not found for the server certificate,
you'll get some form of warning (which you don't want!)

With OpenSSL, you could create your own CA certificate (a self-signed
root certificate) and install it into your browser.  This will add your
CA to the list of known CAs the browser already has (like VeriSign,
Thawte, etc.)  You can then use your root CA to sign your own server
certificates.

This is a little involved, but it works.
--
Dave Ockwell-Jenner
Solar Nexus Solutions