WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Open Source Certificate authority

From: Dorian Moore <lists () dorianmoore com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:37:46 +0100

A little explanation:

Only certificates which are signed by a registered Certification Authority
will get past without a warning, this is because the certificates purpose is
to authenticate that the person you are transmitting the details to is who
they say they are, which is proven by a trusted third party, in this
instance Verisign. The CA basically signs your SSL certificate saying it is
valid and trust should come without a warning.

In some[most?] browsers you can set up your own Certification Authority and
get users to install your CA certificate, which means that any future
certificates that you sign as authentic will not display a warning. This may
be a solution, and you could do it using OpenSSL

Otherwise you have to have an alternate trusted Certificate Authority which
is already trusted by your browser manufacturer and hence is featured in
their install. There are several other authorities other than Verisign you
can use. I use Thawte [http://www.thawte.com] as they are cheaper. But you
still have to pay I'm afraid.

The point of the CA is to provide trust. If anyone could be a CA without
warning then the CA would be useless as anyone could sign their own
certificate, and you could create certificate's passing off to be other
people.

Hope this is of some help

_d._

on 23/09/03 5:10 pm the person going by the name Jared Ingersoll at
jared () cswv com spake :

Thanks for all of the useful info. Let me narrow my request one step more so
I don't spend any time installing and configuring something that does not
work.  The point of using an alternate Certificate Authority is to mimic the
exact communication between the client and server. Our application has an
interface to it that 3rd parties develop their own tools to utilize. These
tools are not browsers. Anything like a certificate warning for the
certificate authority, mismatch domain name or (expiration) will cause the
exchange of information to fail (or error out). The automated tools we use
in testing behave the same. So to clarify:

1. Is there an app that anyone is familiar with that will duplicate
Verisign's Certificate Authority in a way that would eliminate any type of
warning. (It seems like apache and openssl are out).
2. Does freshmeats.com's CAtool, MS Cert Authority, or any other software
supply certificates that would not present any warning message?

Thanks again!

Jared