WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Web Scams

From: shawn <pakkit () codepiranha org>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 06:26:57 -0400

Lawrence, Michael wrote:
Who other then the local autorities, does someone report a e-mail scam? I have received two now claiming to be from E-bay. The funny thing is I do not use e-bay at work, nor do I use my work e-mail for it. (which is where it was sent). The scam asks for all the information required for identity theft. (sin number, bank acount info, credit card info, e-bay information). Any input would be great. This e-mail has appeared in a couple of co-worker's inboxes.

Mike

I can virtually guarantee you that reporting it to any "authorities" is useless. They aren't going to look at it at all. There has been no damage and most likely they have no expertise or jurisdiction and, frankly, have more important things to do.

You are probably better off looking at the headers of the email message, getting the original IP and then finding out what company owns that IP from ARIN. Then send the email along with the full headers to the abuse or security contact for that company. If you're lucky, they will track down who sent the original email and suspend his account. Regardless of what they do, you also will probably not hear back from them.

Wish I had better news for you...

Shawn