WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Web Scams

From: "Gilmore, Corey (DPC)" <Corey_Gilmore () dpc senate gov>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:18:09 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: shawn [mailto:pakkit () codepiranha org]
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 6:27 AM
To: Lawrence, Michael
Cc: webappsec () securityfocus com
Subject: Re: Web Scams

I can virtually guarantee you that reporting it to any
"authorities" is useless.  They aren't going to look at it at
all.  There has been no damage and most likely they have no
expertise or jurisdiction and, frankly, have more important
things to do.

You are probably better off looking at the headers of the
email message, getting the original IP and then finding out
what company owns that IP from ARIN.  Then send the email
along with the full headers to the abuse or security contact
for that company.  If you're lucky, they will track down who
sent the original email and suspend his account.  Regardless
of what they do, you also will probably not hear back from them.

Wish I had better news for you...

I would forward the message, with full headers, to the organization
being spoofed.  Usually there is an email listed for this, but some
combination of abuse@spoofed.company, fraud@spoofed.company,
spoof@spoofed.company usually works if you're lazy.

Best Buy - bestbuysecurityinfo () postfuture com
EarthLink - fraud () corp earthlink net
eBay - spam () ebay com
PayPal - spoof () paypal com

The IFCC (Internet Fraud Complaint Center) is another resource,
http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/