WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Article - A solution to phishing

From: "Damhuis Anton" <DamhuisA () aforbes co za>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:33:30 +0200

Hi Michael.

I read the article, and was quite interesting.

Scenario:
Email is used as Login.

The biggest problem to me would be that if the mail is intercepted, by a 3rd party with in the 15 minutes they have all
the details to log in.

Scenario:
A PIN number is used as Login

This would be a lot better. Since the 3rd party can see a password, when intercepting the email, but has no idea for
which PIN number it can be used.

Therefore the information sent to the users email is still save even in the short period.

(Unless maybe the 3rd party is sniffing the HTTP and SMTP traffic).

Our Rule of thumb is:
One should never send all the details in an email that a person can use to log in.

Regards
  Anton