WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Article - A solution to phishing

From: Michael Silk <michaelsilk () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:02:19 +1100

Hi Saqib,

 Thanks :)

 You're right; if the customer can't access their email they can't
access their bank. However, it is not neccessarily a big problem
though, is it ?

 Most banks offer other mechanisms to access your account - phone
banking, etc, so if it is an absolute emergency you can use their
backup system.

 Also, I would suggest that, unless something goes seriously wrong
with your email provider, it will always be available when you are on
the internet ... Outlook provides a WebAccess system and I imagine the
other big ones would do the same.

 I think the most critical issue to deal with if you implemented it
would be the _securing_ your email system. The easiest way to do it is
encrypt the emails. And to make it easy for users to make use of it,
the email providers would need to integrate it or the banks/etc would
need to provide tools that linked in to perform the decryption.

 This way the user would only need to remember their general
pass-phrase to utilise their private key to decrypt these emails.

-- Michael