WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Computerworld article about web app firewalls

From: <ban.marketing.bs () hushmail com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:41:49 -0800

What is fast becoming a ROFL topic for me I am calling "Totally
ridiculous and laughable articles about web app firewalls written
by web app firewall vendors" I had to forward this classic on so
others can enjoy the fun and laugh. There are too many Monty Python
sketches that could come from this stuff.

http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,,97573,
00.html

Encrypt all the cookie names, yeah that'll stop the hackers.
Cloaking, yeah that sounds like a good word. Yeah cloak, re-write
all URL's that a great idea.

Precision matching of data objects. For example, credit card
numbers should be tested for validity before real-time action is
taken. Yeah totally pragmatic and realistic idea.

An application security solution must detect and defeat all forms
of zero-day attacks. Phew, now I have more than just a few hundred
reasons for not buying your stuff, your telling me not too.

This is getting to the stage of needing a Snake Oil FAQ.

When is this going to stop .....please. Bring back the dead parrot.
Its not a dead parrot...its just resting ;-)