WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Of the three expensive vulnerability scanners

From: Tommy <tommy () providesecurity com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:09:29 -0500

After reading your paper, I would be curious to know several things about
the research you did before writing this paper.

1. What was the testing criteria that was used to assign a security threat
level?

2. Where you the one actually using the tools and testing against the
criteria or did you interview people who have used the tools?

3. If you interview people, how intimate were they with each of the tools?
        How many people did you interview?

I am asking these questions because there is no differentiation between what
are network scanners and what are application scanners. Each will find
different types of vulnerabilities that can be used in different type of
attacks.  In reality no one tool is perfect, every true assessment will
involve using at least 3-4 of the tools on your list.

Now if you broke the list down to 4 Types of Scanners
Network Scanners, Application Scanners, Source Code Scanners & Database
Scanners. Less experienced people would not be so confused.

For Example you posed this information for AppScan Auditor:

Penetration (4):
This tool is great from an administrator point of view but is of very little
use to a hacker

Damage Potential (1):
Data gathering only

Since when isn't XSS, hidden field tampering, SQL Injection of use to a
hacker......better yet a File Upload that doesn't validate an Extension.
Damage Potential you gave a 1? Have you ever used SEND UNSAFE?
Last time I checked DOS to an Application was Pretty Severe.
Also if I remember correctly from my last pen test (today), A SQL Injection
has a Very Severe Damage Potential....Ask PETCO about the Damage to their
reputation from a SQL Injection.

But these are just my two cents!

Tom Ryan
Lead Security Consultant