WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: GMail blocking "executable" attachments

From: James Riden <j.riden () massey ac nz>
Date: 21 Apr 2005 09:03:00 +1200

"Scovetta, Michael V" <Michael.Scovetta () ca com> writes:

All-

I've noticed that G-Mail blocks attachments that contain "executable"
files. (A zip file containing an .MDB, and even a zip file containing a
zip file containing an .MDB). I assume they'd block all the usual
suspects, but isn't that sort of the point of sending e-mails with
attachments?

Well, MDB is, or can be, executable:

http://packetstorm.linuxsecurity.com/0504-exploits/msjet.c

Do you think Google should be deep-scanning the files for content,
or just the extension, and would running a virus detector against it
be just as good?

There's usually a window of a couple of hours or more before the AV
signatures catch up with the virus du jour. If you're blocking or
quarantining executables, that covers you before the AV signatures do
get updated.

cheers,
 Jamie
--
James Riden / j.riden () massey ac nz / Systems Security Engineer
This post does not necessarily represent the views of my employer.