WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: GMail blocking "executable" attachments

From: "Scovetta, Michael V" <Michael.Scovetta () ca com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:44:21 -0400

Mike,
  Wow, I really didn't expect that. That could be considered a
vulnerability. *.txt files should not be executed, even if the
underlying content is in a binary format. A few things I've noticed:

1. Renaming foo.exe to foo (no extension) prevents foo from being
executed. It seems that just about any other extension (com, bat, .bar,
.txt) all have it executed.

2. It seems that only .exe files. Renaming batch files to .xyz doesn't
work, and renaming it to a .zip brings it up in winzip (or whatever is
registered for .zip files). .com files also don't work if you change the
extension.

Consider renaming new_virus.exe to new_britney_spears.mp3 and pushing it
out to kazaa or something. People download it, and click on it in
Explorer. The file does whatever it wants to, because it's an
executable, and isn't picked up by winamp/etc.

Does anyone know if there's a registry key to disable this "feature"?

Michael Scovetta
Computer Associates
Senior Application Developer