WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: suggesting passwds to users

From: Saqib Ali <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:55:34 -0700

I suppose you could generate word-form passwords such as g@L@xi3$
(galaxies) to try and manage the user.  You have to compare the
threats: is it more of a threat for a user to write down their
password or to use the same password they have on 50 other web sites.
I'm not sure what the answer is here....

Yup the answer will depend on your application, and the env you users
are working in.

No offense, but DUH!  Isn't it impossible for a computer to generate a
truly random number without user interaction (such as random mouse
movements to generate entropy, as gnupg asks the user to do when
generating pub/priv keypairs)?  Nevertheless, as your
pseudo-randomness tends toward zero you will hit a point that is
statistically acceptable.  Like when scientists agree that 1x10^-200
chance of occurence can reasonably be considered impossible.

I m not going to comment on this :)

This is a not a bad idea, but I'm not sure my server can handle doing
a dictionary/bruteforce attack on a user chosen password on the fly in
enough time to return a response to the user.  Some of these systems

You don't have to do it on-the-fly. You can run a CRON job on a
nightly basis to do thorough verification of the password complexity.
And prompt the user to change when they log in next time.

--
In Peace,
Saqib Ali