WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: suggesting passwds to users

From: James Barkley <James.Barkley () noaa gov>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:38:14 -0400

Saqib Ali wrote:

| 1) Shoulder surfing might be problem for this type of solution,
| since you will need to display the password on the screen for the
| user to choose one.

I agree this is a threat.

| 2) In my experience, if the password is randomly generated bunch of
|  letters, it becomes hard for the user to remember, and they tend
| to write them down on a piece of paper and paste on the bottom of
| the keyboard. :-(

I suppose you could generate word-form passwords such as g@L@xi3$
(galaxies) to try and manage the user.  You have to compare the
threats: is it more of a threat for a user to write down their
password or to use the same password they have on 50 other web sites.
I'm not sure what the answer is here....

| 3) Your system will NOT generate "random" password, instead it will
|  generate "PSUEDO-RANDOM" passwords.

No offense, but DUH!  Isn't it impossible for a computer to generate a
truly random number without user interaction (such as random mouse
movements to generate entropy, as gnupg asks the user to do when
generating pub/priv keypairs)?  Nevertheless, as your
pseudo-randomness tends toward zero you will hit a point that is
statistically acceptable.  Like when scientists agree that 1x10^-200
chance of occurence can reasonably be considered impossible.

| this process can can be duplicated by an attacker to generate a
| list of all possible passwords, and use it in a dictionary attack.
|

| An easier and better approach is to let the user choose their own
| password, and then run a dictionary/bruteforce attack on the
| password file to make sure they are strong password. If they are
| not, prompt the user to change them.

This is a not a bad idea, but I'm not sure my server can handle doing
a dictionary/bruteforce attack on a user chosen password on the fly in
enough time to return a response to the user.  Some of these systems
are running pretty minimal hardware.  There is trade-space here that
can be explored which is size-of-dictionary versus computation-time
but what is the inflection point where you are searching too few words?

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

- -Jim