WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: NTLM and man-in-the-middle proxies not working

From: raymond_b_jimenez () yahoo com
Date: 15 Sep 2005 15:42:24 -0000

Well, "internal browser" was a browser from inside the organization, while "external browser" was the browser from my
machine. The browser I was using was really IE, with latest patches.

Most interesting is the fact that IE passes IWA credentials over a proxy. I had put in a demo environment, and I did
sucessfully manage to use IE/IWA through a proxy (in this case Odysseus). Just in case, I tested it again and it does
pass IWA through proxy.

So the issue has to be something else...

rj

--- "Amit Klein (AKsecurity)" <aksecurity () hotpop com> wrote:

It's a bit unclear to me what "external brwoser" vs.
"internal browser" are.

Anyway, I think I know why a browser may fail to do
IWA through a forward proxy server -
that is, if this browser happens to be IE. As I
mentioned in an earlier submission to this
list ("NTLM HTTP Authentication is insecure by
design" -
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/107/405587), IE
doesn't send IWA (NTLM) credentials if
it is configured to use a proxy. Under "Scope of the
attack" you can find the following
text:
*) If IE is to be tricked, then it mustn't be
configured with a
forward proxy server. That means that the attack is
effective for IE
(only) with transparent proxy servers (such as ones
used by many
ISPs), and reverse proxy servers (as demonstrated
above). The
Mozilla browser has no such inhibitions, and
therefore, a Mozilla
shop (e.g. some universities and open source
organizations) may be
more vulnerable.