WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: NTLM and man-in-the-middle proxies not working

From: Michael Eddington <meddington () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:45:03 -0700

That isn't 100% true.  Because NTLM authenticates a TCP connection,
not a web request, a proxy must specifically support NTLM
authentication proxying or bad-things might happen.  To show IE that
this is supported the proxy must set the following header if
WWW-Authenticate header exists:

Proxy-Support: Session-Based-Authentication

this isn't well documented which is why most MITM proxies didn't
support NTLM for a long-ass time.

mike