WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Spi's products worth a try? CENZIC BUSTED

From: Super App Master One <superappmasterzero () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 20:50:48 -0500

Normally these types of threads spiral downward quickly, but this one
contained something not to be missed.

- The thread started out as a simple question about impressions
towards SPI's scanning tool.
(These are good discussion topics when conducted properly.)

- Shortly thereafter Phil Pavay from Cenzic, and scanner competitor
posts the following.
"I am a participant in this email list and very much appreciate the
technical content and learned opinions and research discussed within
these topics. I am also under the impression (and would like the
moderator to clarify) that this is not a marketing and sales tool for
the vendors. "

An innocent post to be sure.

- A few posts later, the mysterious and never before seen App Master
(appmasterzero () hotmail com) pulls out what can be described as a
lengthy pro-Cenzic marketing email. We saw it for what it was.

(Moderators have a hard job determining if a posts like this should
be allowed with the risk of limiting what could be the opinions of
real people. Andrew, keep up the good work.)

- Here's where it gets interesting. What App Master may not know is
that web mail providers (like Hotmail) typically send a "X-
Originating-Ip" email headers letting the world know who you are or
where you came from. Header from App Master's post in question:

Trusty nslookup reveals:

$ nslookup 64.60.123.42
Non-authoritative answer:
42.123.60.64.in-addr.arpa       canonical name =
42.40/29.123.60.64.in-addr.arpa.
42.40/29.123.60.64.in-addr.arpa name = gate.cenzic.com.

Thats right, none other than Cenzic. Perhaps Phil got a little
jealous when the topic was really "impressions towards SPI's scanning
tool".

There you have it boys, girls, and especially over anxious marketing
people. When you try to be clever, make sure you know what your doing
or you risk some humiliation. This type of behavior is exactly why
the list charter is how it is.

Super Appman Zero.