WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Writing to a local file without a warning

From: "Frank Heyne" <fh () rcs urz tu-dresden de>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 18:33:01 +0200

Hello,

this is more about webappinsec, but  anyway I hope to get a hint whether what I
need to do is possible at all. You can answer offline, if you prefer.

Question:
Is it possible to write a local file from a ht* file without the interception
of a warning or other dialog?

Task:
There is a standalone Windows machine with a html page from where people can
view information stored in local files with IE. It is nearly like a kiosk,
except the following:
There is a questionnaire where people can give some feedback. This must write
the answers to local files in a write only directory with vbscript.

Problem:
All works well except that I still found no way to remove all security
dialogues.

What I tried:
1. I can either put the questionnaire in a html file - than the user sees a
security warning about the unsecure ActiveX object (File SystemObject) when he
hits the submit button.
2. When I put the questionnaire in a hta file, this warning is missing, but
there is a dialog asking whether the user wants to run or save the (local!) hta
file when he clicks on the link to it.

I understand that this behavior is ok in most scenarios, but I need an
exception for this machine - is this possible and how?
I would prefer a quick solution over installing a local web server or sql
server, of course

Any ideas?

Frank Heyne