WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Administrivia: Adverts

From: Andrew van der Stock <vanderaj () greebo net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 23:31:58 +1100

Hi there,

I do not speak for Security Focus or Symantec, so this is not an official Security Focus position - it's mine in the absence of a proper response from SF.

This list is moderated (by me), but I am not Security Focus. Please understand my role. I get about 100-150 posts per day to the webappsec list, of which 95-99.99% are spam. I quickly inspect each post, and as long as it seems mostly okay and on topic, I let it through, even the somewhat dodgy ones. I don't check URLs. I don't check the facts of the post. I don't summarize or change the text - it's 100% you folks.

I moderate not to censor (although I prefer polite discourse), but moderate to eliminate spam and to keep posts (mostly) on topic. That way you don't get the latest generous offers from our 419 mugu or offtopic chat about the hot muggy summer we are having here in Melbourne. I aim for a fairly focussed web application security discussion, even if it becomes heated from time to time.

SF did not tell me the ads were coming - it just happened. However in their favor, they have provided a worthy free resource to the security community for many years. Similar mail services, such as SourceForge's mail lists (which OWASP uses) have had ads for many years without complaint. I don't think it's realistic to expect that popular free services can remain free forever.

I disagree with the method of their imposition (it just happened), and I disagree with the lack of differentiation between our posts and the ads, but I believe they are here to stay. In that vein, when I received Amit's original e-mail last week, I wrote to my contact at Security Focus with the request that they make the ads distinct from our posts. I have yet to hear back, and obviously, they have not changed the ad header either. This is somewhat disappointing.

However, until I hear back from them, I will not be approving any "me too" posts to the list to avoid noise pollution.

thanks,
Andrew