WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Non SSL Bank Login Forms

From: "Don Jackson" <dwjackson () bcbsal org>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 09:08:09 -0500

As users become more aware, the helpdesk get more calls from users
asking if a login form is secure, because they don't see the lock icon.
As in your case, the form itself is not SSL-secured, just the form
action.  This question has nearly reached "FAQ" status for some of our
sites.

Of course, there's a lot of overhead for a busy site if your login form
happens to be on your home page.  Rather than forcing users to log in up
front, using SSL to secure the form itself only when a login becomes
required (upon checkout for an e-commerce example) would mitigate this
extra load.  It also might reduce calls from increasing numbers of
security-conscious users.

Does securing the form itself with SSL provide any benefits besides
customer peace-of-mind?  Does it make it less likely that a badly coded
login page would be the target of a cross-site scripting attack, etc.?

"Adam Tuliper" <amt () gecko-software com> 5/19/2006 8:26 am >>>

Wil is correct, beware though, users do look for the little "lock"
secure symbol in their browsers, so their perception is the form won't
be secure even if posting to a secure url. This same scenario was
brought to my attention from an end user wondering where the lock was on
their page : )